Although most people think of the development of children when they hear the term “cognitive”, it is also a popular term used with older adults as well. As humans age, they should always be looking for ways to improve cognitive function.
Poor cognitive function in older adults could be a sign of getting older, but it could be a sign of a larger issue such as dementia or Alzheimer’s. If you have every known someone with these conditions, then you likely also know that the disorders take years off their lives.
The Importance of Healthy Cognition
Improving cognition by adopting lifestyle habits that challenge the brain can take years off your chronological age. That’s because learning something new or figuring out something puzzling requires the brain to reconfigure so that it is adept for responding to these things.
Your brain does not stop growing just because you reach adulthood. There are several ways that we can learn how to improve cognitive function just by picking up new lifestyle habits. For example any time you have a meaningful discussion, or just ponder a new concept, it puts your brain to work.
The different ways to improve cognitive function are nearly endless, but some are easier than others for a wider range of people to adopt into their lifestyles, regardless of their age, gender, race, or health condition. Here are some of the more common methods.
- PHYSICAL ACTIVITY – Exercise improves blood flow to every part of your body, including the brain. Keeping physically fit also helps you think more clearly, which includes recalling memories and facts or just making better choices.
- ACTIVE READING – Reading is only a cognitive activity when it makes you think. Reading a celebrity gossip blog online takes far less brain activity than something like flipping through a print copy of National Geographic magazine. The same goes for your television choices. In other words, Discovery Channel is a better option than Teen Mom.
- SMART HOBBIES – Unlike smart cars and appliances, smart hobbies don’t require technology at all! Smart hobbies are ones that require you to learn something new, like playing an instrument, learning a new language, or taking a college class, which actually can be done online.
- SOLVE PUZZLES – Puzzles are a great way for your brain to stay active. Crossword puzzles, cryptograms, Sudoku, acrostics, find-a-word, and other brain teasers are a good way to get started. For the greatest benefit, take on a different type of puzzle each day!
- PLAY CHESS – Most board games involve some type of thinking. In the case of games like Trivial Pursuit and Jeopardy, it may even involve learning. The same goes for card games and checkers, because they require the player to strategize moves to vanquish opponents.
- REVISIT HISTORY – When visiting historic sites or museums, take time to read the signs on the displays. Repeat key information to yourself as you go to help retain that information. Be an active participant in discussions during group tours, or visit with a friend who enjoys discussing the exhibits with you during the visit.
- NETWORKING – People hear networking and think about business. However workshops, conferences, and other gatherings are a great way for retirees to stay active during their senior years, whether they attend as a guest speaker to share their experiences, or as a guest to experience something new.
According to the Alzheimer’s Association website (http://www.alz.org), Alzheimer’s disease is the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. While keeping your brain active is no guarantee against developing some form of dementia, it can certainly help stave off the symptoms for some time.
Another method for how to improve cognition is by eating a healthy diet that is accompanied by a supplement like SynergiaGSH. Every day your body battles against toxins that enter your body from preservatives in the food you eat to environmental pollutants.
Taking SynergiaGSH helps combat the ill effects of toxins by giving your body the vitamins and nutrients needed to prevent a deficiency. Combined with sickness, allergies, or some other type of stress, a deficiency or a compromised immune system can wreak havoc on your body.
Instead of taking a handful of vitamins to improve cognitive function and stay physically healthy, one dose of SynergiaGSH takes the guesswork out of what you need to stay healthy. Don’t wait another minute to start feeling healthier. Place an order today!